When I was younger cookies and milk were my go-to before bed snack. Who doesn’t love dunking cookies into a tall glass of milk and then curling into bed? Back then I didn’t discriminate between store bought or homemade, so long as I had cookies in my hand, I was happy. While I moved on from packaged cookies a long, long time ago, I still enjoy homemade ones. I wanted to take it a step further and make a cookie that gently prepared me for bedtime. Something warming and comforting. These Magical Maca cookies are everything I wanted and more in a homemade you’ll-have-sweet-dreams cookie. They are comprised of adaptogens maca and ashwagandha; sweetened with cinnamon and raw honey; have a beauty boost from collagen peptides; and are gluten free a la almond flour. They are soft and fudgy with just the right amount of chewiness. They pair perfectly with my homemade vanilla walnut milk – especially warmed up 🙂
Why are these cookies so magical? Because they contain adaptogens, and adaptogens are magical! Adaptogens are natural substances (let’s call them herbs) that greatly improve your body’s ability to adapt to stress. My Magical Maca cookies contain maca and ashwagandha.
- Maca: Studies show that maca has positive effects on energy and mood by tonifying and boosting the endocrine system. Positive mood leads to lower levels of anxiety, stress and depression, all three of which maca has been shown to assist in lowering. Maca has a malty, chocolatey and nutty flavor, which makes it great for desserts and baking.
- Ashwagandha: Sounds more complicated than it is, trust me! Ashwagandha increases vitality, relieves stress and boosts brain and cognitive function. Ashwagandha has an earthy, nutty taste.
- I use the brand Terrasoul for all my adaptogens.
In addition to the adaptogens, raw honey is also wonderful to have before bed because it can actually help your brain function better at night and assist in a quality night’s sleep. Finally, collagen peptides are a natural sleep aid in that its most abundant amino acid is glycine, which promotes deeper sleep. I love the brand Further Foods. Be sure to use the code, BRINGOUTYOURBLISS10 at checkout for a nice discount.
Magical Maca Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 scoops collagen peptides
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. maca
- 1 Tbsp. ashwagandha
- 1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/8 cup raw honey
- 1 whole egg
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients. Add in liquid coconut oil, then honey. Once combine, stir in egg until well mixed.
Using a cookie scooper or lay out 12 cookies on your sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Have you baked with adaptogens before? What are your favorite cookies? I know you’ll love these!