Two words. Two delicious, yummy words: Butter Chicken.
Oh yes, this dreamy Indian dish can easily be made at home and made healthy with a few easy ingredient swaps! Plus, you likely have the majority of the ingredients and spices in your pantry already!
My hubby and I absolutely love Indian food, but sometimes our favorite dishes at restaurants, like Butter Chicken, are a bit too caloric and sodium-heavy for us to feel good about eating. Once I had the idea for crockpot butter chicken in my head, I couldn’t wait to test out a recipe and enjoy it! This turned out great and I really loved eating it over a heaping pile of warm cauliflower rice.
And the best part? Using my favorite cauliflower pizza crust in replace of traditional naan to scoop up all the creamy goodness! Cali’flour foods pizza crust is my jam! It’s a cinch to make (seriously just throw it in the oven!) and it’s insanely delicious. Plus, it’s made with just 4 clean ingredients (!!!) and it’s the perfect low carb, high fat crust/naan/cracker/pita/sandwich/etc. You can get super creative with them!
Back to this beautiful bowl of creamy Butter Chicken goodness! If you don’t want to go the crockpot route, you could easily stovetop this dish as well, I am sure! The anticipation of a warm and delicious crockpot meal after a long day just makes me so happy though, you?
And alternatively, if you want to buy a quality sauce mixture at the store (I’ve seen jarred butter chicken sauces or similar ones), simply swapping the white rice for cauliflower rice makes this dish that much more healthy!
Healthy Butter Chicken
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs cut chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 13.5 oz can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 5 oz. container non-dairy yogurt (we used almond milk!)
- 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 2-3 tsp. pink salt
- 1 cauliflower pizza crust cut into pitas and baked cut into 4 pitas
- 4 cups cauliflower riced cooked
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley finely chopped for a garnish
Whisk together coconut milk, yogurt and petite diced tomatoes until well combined. Pour mixture and all other crockpot ingredients in crockpot and stir until well combined.
2. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
3. 20 minutes prior to serving prepare cauliflower crust and cauliflower rice. (Cut the cauliflower pizza into quarters first and then bake!)
4. When ready to serve, spoon cauliflower rice into 4 bowls and sprinkle with pink salt.
5. Pour over rice the crockpot butter chicken and garnish with fresh parsley.
6. Serve with cauliflower crust for scooping/dipping.
7. Butter chicken will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
If you love butter chicken, you gotta try this easy and delicious healthy version and let me know what you think! What’s your favorite Indian food dish? After butter chicken we love tikka masala!