You guyssss, this may very well be on my #Meatlessmonday menu forever! Don’t get me wrong, I love traditional bacon, but thanks to my hip AF momma, I was intrigued to try it because she did and said it was amazing. She was right.
It’s got an amazing smoky, caramelized flavor and is both crispy and a little chewy. It’s a cinch to make, but does require some patience in the oven, but I promise it’s worth it!
Honestly, I will be making this over and over again! My hubby loved it too! It’s great as a side or on a sammie! 🙂
- 1 large eggplant peeled
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel eggplant and slice in quarters. Continue to slice quarters into thin, bacon-like strips.
3. In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup + liquid aminos (or soy sauce) + 3 Tbsp. EVOO + ½ tsp. liquid smoke + 2 tsp. smoked paprika + ½ tsp. garlic powder.
4. Dip/drench all slices in mixture and lay on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake on bottom rack for 45 minutes, flip and then bake for another 25-35 minutes or until crispy. Like I said, patience, but once you hit the 45-minute mark continue to check on the thinner slices to make sure they don’t burn.
6. Enjoy warm or cold.
7. Store in airtight container in fridge. Reheat in oven.
Would you try eggplant bacon? It’s such a fun way to eat your veggies and mix things up! If you try it, let me know below!